• Welcome to the Benefice of Westleigh, St Peter and St Paul
     
    Westleigh, situated at the Western edge of the Diocese of Manchester, is one of three ancient townships of Westleigh, Bedford and Pennington that merged to form the town of Leigh.  Formerly a Lancashire coal and cotton town, Leigh's function is now service centred
     
    The foundation stone for the church of St Paul Westleigh on Westleigh Lane, was laid in June 1846 and the church consecrated in October 1847
     
    The church of St Peter's on Firs Lane was founded in 1879 and consecrated in 1881
     
    In 2016 the two parishes of St Peter and St Paul entered into Mission Partnership with the parish church of St Mary the Virgin in Leigh town centre, and work closely together in mission to develop a thriving Christian presence in the town

    text